Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Astrophotography 8-13-2013 (Satellite)

Before may of this year, I had not expeirence with astrophotography using a DSLR camera. Even now my experiences so far have mostly been reading a few tips in my books, running outside with the camera snapping away and looking over the results later. Hopefully learning something each time. Tonight I finally found the zone I believe is correct. Also, I might not know a lot about astrophotography, but I know even less about image processing. So the images I present here have very very little processing. All I have done is and "Auto Contrast" and a Color Inversion.

 I basically started out the same. Going outside picking a target take a shot, view the result, make any adjustments if needed, and repeat. Towards the end of my secession I pointed the camera straight up and took a photo. When I looked at it I noticed a small faint white streak at the top. So quickly I took another. There it was again! But in a different position. I took 3 more shots finally realizing what it might be. A satellite passing overhead. I have seen satellites passing overhead at the George observatory. But i never thought I would capture one on camera in the middle of light polluted skies.

My camera is a Nikon D3100. The lens I was using is a Nikkor 18-55mm. I was zoomed all the way in. 800 ISO at a 5 sec exposure.


Click to enlarge!

No comments:

Post a Comment